Wednesday 27 August 2014

Concerning Winter Hill...

Winter Hill is a 456 metre high hill in Lancashire, England, on the border of the boroughs of Chorley, Blackburn with Darwen and Bolton.  A part of the West Pennine Moors, it is most Westerly point of the Penines.

View North to Winter Hill, from Two Lads (SD65521329)
This hill is special! 

Winter Hill dominates the landscape across the whole Lancashire Plain - it can be clearly seen from afar.  On a clear day the hill is visible from the South Lakes, Lancaster, the Fylde, Liverpool, North Wales, Anglesey, Snowdonia, Cheshire, the Peak District, and Manchester - the TV transmitting station on its summit (known locally as the "Mast") makes it light-up like a Christmas tree at night, and therefore easily identifiable in relation to the other hills in the area.

So much has happened here over the years - from pre-historic landmarks, old folklore tales of ghosts, medieval and modern mining activity,  brutal murders, aeroplane disasters and even UFO sightings; this hill has always been a hotbed of human activity.

Where did my fascination come from?

I was born and raised in Doffcocker, Bolton in the early 80's.  From a very young age I remember looking out of my window and seeing Winter Hill, with the Mast on full display - this view both excited and terrified me...

Walking up the hill was a typical family outing on a hot Summer's day - we would walk from our house on Chorley Old Road, passing through Moss Bank Park and Barrow Bridge.  We would head by Coal Pit Lane, reaching the summit via Green Nook Reservoir and Counting Hill - a real adventure with nothing but a bottle of pop and a tuna sandwich!

However, I also had nightmares about the hill as a child.  Specifically, I would dream that the mast would fall over and come crashing down onto my house!  Of course, we lived much too far away for this to actually happen - the mast is 309 m tall and my house was 4,820 m away as the crow flies - but to my child's mind the threat was very real!  I used to think that "evil things" lived up there on the harsh hill... it scared me to think that it was so close to where I lived, I felt like it was a savage and brutal place, a foreboding place that captivated my imagination.

In the mid 90's my family moved to Horwich (a small town at the Southern base of the hill).  I spent a lot of time exploring Winter Hill from there, learning about its landscape and history - as I grew older I became more interested in its pre-historic past.  It fascinated me to think that pre-historic man stood on the very spot where my feet walked and probably felt the same affinity to this sacred place as I did.  The hill is littered with ancient sites, including bronze-age burial mounds, stone cairns, beacon hills, and carved stones... a treasure trove of landmarks.

Linda Server, in her book titled Lancashire's Sacred Landscape (2010), notes that the words "sacred landscape" are not normally associated with Lancashire!  Those words are more likely to conjure images of Glastonbury Tor, Stone Henge or the Pyramids of Giza.  However, anybody who has been to Winter Hill will agree with me that that the place has a certain sacredness about it.  A feeling that draws people to it, perhaps as like a moth to a flame?

If you don't understand what I am talking about, you simply need to climb atop of the Pike on Easter Sunday with the thronging masses, or track the sunset from Noon Hill Slack as it falls into the streams of the Irish Sea on the Summer Solstice, or perch and watch the fireworks over the Lancashire Plain from the Two Lads on Bonfire Night - then you will understand.

So, what am I going to blog about?

Do the ancient landmarks on Winter Hill hide a secret?  Do local legends and folklore contain clues as to the un-written past of the hill and its community?  I believe they do!

I have identified that Winter Hill (if that is its real name!?! to be discussed on a future blog...) may have played a crucial role in the pre-historic development of the surrounding conurbations - specifically, I have found what I believe to be potential alignments of the landmarks on and around Winter Hill, including an alignment that stretches more than 50 km and passes through some local places of interest (again, I will explain all in a future blog...).

I am not looking to re-write any history books here -  I am not an historian, nor an archaeologist - nor am I a new-age nut looking for lines of energy in the Earth or something!  By profession, I am a Forensic Accountant and so am used to identifying relevant facts from investigation and research, and applying them to a theory with assumptions that builds a picture of what might have been - Hampson explained something very eloquently in his book, History of Rivington (1893), that captures my intent in writing this blog:

"History cannot be written, it can be only copied... there must remain the original bust, and though cloaked by traditions, and surrounded by the "folklore" of a bye-gone age... we may perchance... find some pristine gem, unveil some lost sign, and in loch, wood, hill and glen, discover some calligraphic sign that guide our investigations, or some hieroglyphic that may lead to success..."

I hope you enjoy reading... please let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    Fascinating story. As I have just experienced Glastonbury Tor and its a magical place.
    Having being born in Blackburn I did wonder if my spirituality was due to the position of my house on a ley line. Do u know if there any records of these around?. Brilliant blog well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is a mysterious and magical place.... especially when your on Acid at 3am in January without a torch and without a winter coat , the so called Sheep up there are in fact Demons and the ones with horns are pretty hard too. Me and a mate walked to the mast and somehow got stuck in a field that had running water underneath your feet , we then had a fight with a Demon Ram that didn't want to give us it's wooly coat , we were boarderline hyperthermia and Tripping our balls off i got confused and stripped off naked then i found some garden shears and battled the Demon Ram , took his Wooly coat and we stuck it to our naked body with sheep shit as glue and survived the night! We got arrested on the way out of the moorland near a pub called the black dog and we got sectioned under the mental health act ! I'm still in shock , the police told my parents i had been caught bumming sheep and my Dad battered me. I wouldn't recommend the place to anyone.

    ReplyDelete